The Zambezi Watercourse Commission (ZAMCOM) is a river basin organization set up by countries that share the Zambezi River Basin, as stipulated in the 2004 ZAMCOM Agreement and in accordance with the revised SADC Protocol on Shared Watercourses of 2000. The Riparian States to the Zambezi River Basin are: the Republic of Angola, the Republic of Botswana, the Republic of Malawi, the Republic of Mozambique, the Republic of Namibia, the Republic of Tanzania , the Republic of Zambia and the Republic of Zimbabwe.
ZAMCOM’s objective is “to promote the equitable and reasonable utilization of the water resources of the Zambezi Watercourse as well as the efficient management and sustainable development thereof”.
Functions of the ZAMCOM:
As outlined in the Agreement, ZAMCOM functions include:
- Collecting, evaluating and disseminating all data and information on the Zambezi Watercourse for implementation of the Agreement;
- Promoting, supporting, coordinating and harmonizing the management and development of the water resources of the Zambezi Watercourse;
- Advising Member States on the planning, management, utilization, development, protection and conservation of the Zambezi Watercourse as well as on the role and position of the Public with regard to such activities and the possible impact thereof on social and cultural heritage matters;
- Advising Member States on measures necessary for the avoidance of disputes and assist in the resolution of conflicts among Member States with regard to the planning, management, utilization, development, protection and conservation of the Zambezi Watercourse;
- Fostering greater awareness among the inhabitants of the Zambezi Watercourse of the equitable and reasonable utilization and the efficient management and sustainable development of the resources of the Zambezi Watercourse;
- Cooperating with the institutions of SADC as well as other international and national organizations where necessary;
- Promoting and assisting in the harmonization of national water policies and legislative measures;
- Promoting the application and development of the ZAMCOM Agreement according to its objective and the principles.